Canal du Centre

Canal du Centre

Monday, October 30, 2023

That’s About It, Folks. October 24-Nov. 14

 I’ve returned to France to do some maintenance and winterize the boat as I didn’t have time for that in July. Plus it gave me an excuse to come back and enjoy more of those delicious baguettes. I’ll be here for three weeks.


I’m not going to make a map this year as it was just backing and forthing on the Canal de Garonne with side trips to Montauban and up the Baise.

But there are numbers-


694 kilometers

240 locks

142 hours underway 

41 travel days


I also think I’m going to put the blog to bed. The boat is for sale and I’m afraid my heart just isn’t in it. I don’t think I’ll be doing again what I did this year. While I did have a good time, it’s just not the kind of cruising I want to do. Barging is a wonderful life and I would dearly love to continue but I’m afraid it’s just not in the cards.


I want to thank you all for following along and your kind and generous comments.


If you know anybody who wants a very nice, comfortable Dutch barge on the French canals…..


Don


7 comments:

  1. Don I wish you all the best and would like to say thank you for the enjoyment provided by your blog. It will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Doreen. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hope it has been helpful.

      Delete
  2. Oh Don, I'll miss you and your blog posts. I feel quite choked to think this is the end of your cruising life, but I do understand. If hear of anyone wanting a beautiful barge, where do I direct them for the details? Apart from that, do keep in touch, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Val. Right now the barge is listed with the brokers H2O in Burgundy. The listing is at https://h2ofrance.com/for-sale/aakship/ (I don't know how to make that a link in comments. Copy/paste into your browser works.) I think you have my email address as well and anybody with questions can always email me directly.
      I get your blog automatically sent to my email inbox when you post so I'll be able to follow you and Koos in your adventures.

      Delete
    2. Don, yes, I have your email and I'm glad we'll have the chance to remain in touch. I've found Oldtimer on H2O and I'll share the link for you. She's a lovely barge and so fit for living aboard. I hope she finds new caretakers who'll love her as much as you two did.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, Val. It is a very comfortable home and we enjoyed the six months at a time we spent aboard.
      I always look forward to your posts and even though we didn't spend much time together in the real world I really felt like I've come to know you well through your writing.

      Delete
    4. Don, it’s mutual. I do hope we can stay in touch.

      Delete

All of a sudden I'm getting comment spam. I'll have to use Captcha until it gets under control. Sorry...